Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: Sheva Golden Ball Winner 2004!

Rumours abound that Andrei Shevchenko will be unveiled as the winner of the Ballon d'Or on December 14.

The Ukrainian is believed to be in such a strong position in the voting that only the formalities of confirmation await the Milan star.

Shevchenko, whose goals buoyed Milan to the title last season, admits that he would be overjoyed to be handed the prestigious award as Europe's top footballer.

"I don't know what to say," Shevchenko told Gazzetta dello Sport. "It seems incredible news to me.

"I know I have had a good season and I now that winning the Scudetto has a big value - but my rivals were all so good.

"I fear that the news is false, but if it is right I will dedicate the award to the Ukrainian people.

"I'm proud to be Ukrainian and I hope we can find a national side that can reach the World Cup finals."

planetfootball.com

Shev up for FIFA award Monday 29 November, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan ace Andriy Shevchenko is on the three-man shortlist for the FIFA World Player of the Year award.

The Ukrainian striker has enjoyed a stunning 2004 and is now in contention with Ronaldino of Barcelona and Arsenal’s Thierry Henry for the honour.

Shevchenko has found the net with consistency for both club and country, ending the last campaign as the Serie A top scorer.

The winner will be announced on December 20 at FIFA’s World Player Gala at Zurich's Opera house.

In the past, national bosses voted for the winner but the sport’s world governing body have changed the system this year.

Male and female captains of every national team will be eligible to vote along with their tacticians, plus FIPRO – the global body for professional players.

Former Juve star Zinedine Zidane won the honour last year but this is the first time since 1999 that no Real Madrid players are included in the final three-man list.

channel4.com

this is good because jso many players and coaches have said that sheva deserves the award so he may have not one but TWO awards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FORZA SHEVA!!!!!!

Golden Ball more important!

I expected Deco and Adriano to be there among top 3, not Henry!

I dont know, what is more important, as it was Owen, who won Golden Ball recently which was such a disgrace...

Zidane Fifa 2003 over Nedved who finished 4th was the bigest disgrace of all times.

Then in 2001 when Owen won it, none had a great season, only Raul was competing anyway so it's not that huge disgrace!

let's take last years example

Golden ball - Nedved
    Fifa player - Zidane...

Which award is objective and which subjective then??

However in teh end it doesnt matter which one is morally correct because the FIFA award will always hold more reputation, therefore i wish him to receive both!
    You can love many women...but only ONE football club!!!

FORZA MILAN!

Fifa's award never had a better reputation it's all about the Golden ball. Everyone considers Nedved the best of 2003 and not Zidane for example!

Anyway, winning both would be nice.