Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: UCL (2012-13) RD16 - 2nd Leg: Barcelona vs. Milan

Quote Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
    yeah well, I don't think we have played such a bad game... Barcelona was killer tonite... They have taken every chance and this is difficult... We've only let them 5 or 6 opportunities and they've scored 4. On other night they would have wasted them all or Niang would have scored and the game would have been over... We've started with too much respect and the early goal hurt us a lot...whenever we looked like getting somewhere they've scored. Constant was awful tonight, Ambrosini didn't have his night either but overally we've tried and we've never gave up... Montolivo, Abate and Boateng had good game. The result is harsh but we can walk with heads held high...
    They were ruthlessly efficient tonight. We weren't.

Plus, to beat Barcelona like the form they were on in tonight requires even more concentration and focus than we had in the San Siro. I have seen the highlights and continue seeing them now. It is clear that we were not as compact, not as quick to close down the spaces and cut the supply lines and simply didn't do well enough when we had the ball losing possession very quickly.

Worst performance: Constant - I don't know what he was trying to do by hogging the ball like that. Poor.

Second worst performance: SES (messed two chances, didn't close down the supply to Messi on the first when he was 3 feet away from him. That was due to a lack of concentration and simply didn't position himself well on his flank despite Alves not there 90% of the time)

Third worst performance: Ambrosini. He looked tired and at his age who can blame him. Looked out of his depth tonight. While a rested Xavi looked very fresh. That little trick by Roura worked while playing Ambro a lot didn't for us.

Fourth worst performance: Niang and Flamini. Without blaming Niang for the goal, I blame him more for not positioning himself and generally being very lazy on the pitch. I don't know what to say about Flamini. He is here for half a decade and I still find it difficult to remember his best game. Candidate for our worst Bosman transfer especially when you consider his wages. When he is good he gets injured. Story of his Milan career.

Best performers: Abbiati, Abate, KPB, Montolivo. Muntari when he came on kept Messi in check. I just wonder why he didn't start. Might have been a better move but alas.

It was Murphy's law for us. Everything went wrong and nothing can be done when that happens. I just hope that this defeat doesn't effect us in the Serie A now and we remain focused to grab that second spot in Serie A because a defeat like this can harm our form.

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

we beat ourselves. individual errors,bad marking, wrong player selection by allegri +inexperience. i expected to see the bus in front if abbiati,but the smartie allegri opted to play open where he shouldnt.

haroon,kpb was poor too. he was meant to push barcas back line, instead he was left floating off side.

I noticed one more thing. Barcelona was preparing for this game ever since they lost to us. We were not preparing for this game like them. They rested Xavi, Villa, Messi and most of their first team in the game on the weekend. We didn't rest our players. On the field there was a lack of positioning discipline and calmness by our players.

I seriously didn't understand how Flamini could start ahead of Muntari who had a brilliant first leg. Messi was in check after Muntari came on the field. Ambrosini looked tired. Look at his age. He should have been well rested.

SES got 3 clear cut one on one chances with Valdes in this tie. He rushed all three chances and hit weak shots. He was an anonymous figure in the second leg. Post game analysis showed that SES was standing right next to Messi seconds before the first goal. Messi made a run. SES went for the panoramic view by ball watching instead of cutting the supply line.

Second goal happened because Ambro tried to dribble past a player in our own half. You don't do that against Barcelona. You use one touch passing against them. The third goal happened because Constant who thought he could dribble past players all night went for the spectacular dive rather than closing down Villa. The failed dive resulted in Villa with the ball and time.

The fourth goal was a lack of presence of mind. Time was almost up. We had a FK and five players in their box needing a goal to win the tie. What does Robinho do? He passes to Muntari who was anticipating a curling ball inside the box. We lose the ball and Alba scores. Seemed like a Euro final repeat in so many ways.

For two years in a row we have lost to Barca and lost a player to injury in the preceding league game that cost us big. First Silva and now Pazzini. Our players could have been rested while other fringe players like Nocerino, Bojan, De Sciglio could have been given a run out.

What's done is done but this team has to learn from this or there is no use. This is another 4-0 after Depo and Utd. Not good. Doesn't feel good.

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

this barca wasn't/isn't unbeatable! we were too poor simply to kick them out. we could have easily done that what real did to them at nou camp. allegri disappointed me with his player choice one more time, with this formation and the way milan played for 90 mins. even a segunda division team have would played better than us yesterday. we were hiding, giving the ball away easily, giving barca lots of space and time to score as much as they wanted. simply, this was the contrary what we did at SS two weeks ago. having lost to the best team in the word is no excuse for me and it can't be, because this is the weakest barca of the past 4-5 years. we all knew that their defense has problems, that they are vulnerable now. many teams managed to score at camp nou, why couldnt we? we had our chances, we didnt materialize them. our strikers niang and ses were not clinical enough as once shevcheno,crespo and inzaghi used to be.that made the difference. messi scored two without having a clear chance to do so. he wasnt covered well, had the whole time and the space of the world to hit our goal. one more time, a LB is a must for us for the future. constant is directly to be blamed for the 3-0.

As much as I'd like to blame Allegri for this one it is difficult to say he got it all wrong...

- Ambrosini was rested against Genoa and he was always superb ag. Barcelona, both in the first leg and in the two games in KO round last year. He seemed to have a special motivation against them, forgetting his age and rule the midfield. He had a bad game yesterday but it was difficult to predict this. The second goal was his fault but the backline did well, stepped up as one man leaving Messi offside but the referee didn't see it. It was a shame as this was the psychological breaking point no. 2. We've missed the sitter and conceded within a minute. If the ref had ruled offside and we had survived until the second half...the game might have looked different. The fact that Barca was level in the halftime was a big boost for them and they could have played with secured defense waiting for their chance and there was no space for breakaways.

- Muntari on the bench was possibly a mistake by Allegri. At least I don't understand why he didn't rested Flamini ag. Genoa if he wanted to play him ag. Barca. Still, Flamini did well breaking the attacks ag. Lazio and Genoa and perhaps Allegri saw him as a bit more defensive option than Muntari who likes to push forward. Muntari didn't have a good first half in the first leg, he gave far too many balls away so that might have been the reason for including Flamini.

- Constant handled Messi well in the first leg, always doubling him with one of the holding midfielder and this is possibly the only justification for choosing him over DeSciglio. The fact is that DeSciglio is great while pushing forward, having top notch delivery but he is still not at his best defensively. Perhaps, Allegri didn't want to throw in two offensive fullbacks and decided to play it thru Abate and Boateng's side with Constant supposed to drop in the center to eliminate Messi. This did not work and Constant deserved a slap in the face for his "constant" dribbling

Haroon is right we could have played Nocerino or someone ag. Genoa but the fact is that unlike Barca who would qualify into UCL no matter what happens, we knew we needed the 3 points from Genoa as we can't miss on UCL next year and lose the money. We are unfortunately in a completely different position as while Barcelona already won La Liga we will still have a hard time fighting off Napoli, Inter, Fiorentina and Lazio for the two UCL spots. With Balotelli failing to make a full recovery it was difficult to make the right call. Perhaps, Pazzini should have been rested but unlike Silva he wasn't thrown in with a health problem so it was simply down to bad luck. Niang could have been rested thou as Bojan and Robinho could play ag. Genoa. This was unnecessary. Then the red card turned a game that could have been played out in an easy fashion into a tough challenge...this could not be predicted but it was another reson to leave Constant out.

I still think we did better than in any of the games at Camp Nou last year. There is no use talking about Barcelona's number of passes or possession... that is the way it is... They were in control of the game but so they were at San Siro. If you look at the fact they have created 4 goalscoring opportunities in the first half - Messi's two goals, Iniesta's shot and Xavi's shot... all of them from outside of the area. We've cover the area well and that is basically where Barca scores 90% of the goals from. Many of the pre-match comments from journalists were saying that the problem of Barca is that if they are covered in the area they can't switch their minds and start shooting from the mid distance... Unfortunately, that was exactly what they did against Milan and they were killer. They were allowed 2 opportunities in the second half scoring both of them. On any other day allowing Barca just 2 sights of goal during a half time would be an achievement... not yesterday. The fullbacks did very well I'd say. I also think the luck factor was not on our side as Barca scored always in the right psychological moment. They've scored an early goal, then they've scored after we blew the chance to kill the game off, they've scored the 3rd when we started to look more active and pushing forward holding on ball...they've scored the forth when we finally look we might cause them some trouble and score a goal that would see us thru. These were so many blows for such a young team playing at Barca in front of 90.000 fans. It was simply their night but no matter what the flaws were... we walked of with our heads held high and this will give us a lot of experience for the future.
    Last edited by DonCorleone; 13th March 2013 at 13:20.
    "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" - Don Corleone

i dont think we walked out with our heads up. 4-0 isnt that good result as u pretend don.we are ac milan and not ponferradina.

Quote Originally Posted by artan View Post
    this barca wasn't/isn't unbeatable! we were too poor simply to kick them out. we could have easily done that what real did to them at nou camp. allegri disappointed me with his player choice one more time, with this formation and the way milan played for 90 mins. even a segunda division team have would played better than us yesterday. we were hiding, giving the ball away easily, giving barca lots of space and time to score as much as they wanted. simply, this was the contrary what we did at SS two weeks ago. having lost to the best team in the word is no excuse for me and it can't be, because this is the weakest barca of the past 4-5 years. we all knew that their defense has problems, that they are vulnerable now. many teams managed to score at camp nou, why couldnt we? we had our chances, we didnt materialize them. our strikers niang and ses were not clinical enough as once shevcheno,crespo and inzaghi used to be.that made the difference. messi scored two without having a clear chance to do so. he wasnt covered well, had the whole time and the space of the world to hit our goal. one more time, a LB is a must for us for the future. constant is directly to be blamed for the 3-0.
    sorry, but you cannot compare the situation Barca playing ag. Segunda Division team and this game. For them, this was the most important game in ages. Two weeks the journalists were saying this tiki taka is over and Messi's magic is gone. The game was dubbed the decider whether this Barca side and Messi still have something to say or if they are over. They couldn't have been more motivated. It was similar to the EURO final when Spain was poor during the tournament and Italy looked like the team to beat and the questions were exactly the same... is the spanish dominance over? Then there was the game when everything went wrong for Italy and Spain was just too motivated and too well prepared to beat. This Milan team is inexperienced. I wouldn't blame them for not putting enough effort but Barca with all that this team done can simply draw more from such a situation than we. For us it was a dream, for them it was a matter of survival.
    "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" - Don Corleone