Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: UCL QF 2nd Leg: Barcelona vs. Milan (Tue - Apr 3, 2012)

We need to keep a clean sheet for 30 mins or ideally 45. If Barca score inside 10 then we could face an Arsenal style night and Barca will get hope. Back four must be disciplined and Ambrosini must protect and not be too adventurous!

Ibra dropping is great because it creates space for other to exploit.

Let's see what happens. It is very important to note our body language and their body language when the teams walk out. It is also very important to note how we start in this match. Remember that this is an away final for us but a home final for them. A nervous start is not good. It's a long game of 90 or 120 minutes so it is important to see how we settle down and that can only happen with our own gameplay. We can't decide to let Barcelona have the ball for an 80-20 possession and tell them to keep trying to score on us while we sit out and defend. They will try to force us into that exact same situation but it is up to us to be threatening on the other end because only then will Barcelona be cautious in how they are attacking us as well. We need movement, good and fast movement off the ball to create space.

I think Barcelona know that their best chance to hit us is when Milan attacks and they break up the attack because at that time our players are running back and trying to get into their positions and it is not a very calm defending situation then. At that time we also look vulnerable so it is very important as Ambro said to play as a unit. We can't have individualistic displays. It has to be one display.

They press hard and will try to regain possession quickly so we need to try to keep the ball a little longer and please make Victor Valdes work for his saves rather than giving him an easy night.

I am gathering some interesting stats related to this tie. I will post all that stuff in one post a little later on.

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

stats are IRRELEVANT. Haroon, a patch of soggy grass or a lump of earth can determine this tie!

Gentlemen,
    The gates at the stadium are open as I start to write this post. It's the same stadium where Milan crushed Steaua Bucaresti to win our first European Cup in Silvio Berlusconi's area. It's the same stadium that attracted the largest congregation of traveling football fans from a foreign country. It's the same stadium in the same city where confetti awaited the Rossoneri after they had eliminated Real in a memorable SF tie. It's the same stadium where the Milan tifosi especially the inhabitants of the Curva Sud wore Red Shirts that night. It's the same stadium where Milan walked out in white jerseys ... the jersey which has a special place in our hearts. It's the same stadium where Milan had not lost to Barcelona for almost 40 years IIRC.

Some stadiums have a special place in football folklore. This stadium has a special place in football history. This stadium is also the same venue which was responsible for the most dramatic UCL final in living memory where the game changed in a matter of 120 seconds. For me, ESTADIO CAMP NOU has a special place in my heart. It is where it all started for Milan in a reign that defined this club's place as "RIFERIMENTO d'EUROPA".

The CURVA SUD will be wearing RED today. Milan will be wearing white today. Silvio Berlusconi has returned as President and Milan and its fans including me are a SUPERSTITIOUS BUNCH. On nights like these where it is very important for Milan to win, I don't wear anything other than RED & BLACK. It works on most occasions but there have been a few where it doesn't work. It's just the superstitious part in me. My cousin doesn't wear anything RED & BLACK for the same reason. But this is football and this is what the love of your team can do to you.

Since this draw was made on that night, our management asked us to BELIEVE. They didn't ask anything else. They didn't ask the fans to fill up the San Siro. They didn't ask them to get behind their team. Just one thing. Allegri asked one thing. Even the players asked one thing.

We are the club that does the unthinkable ... and we do it again and again. I haven't been excited about a KO TIE for quite some time. Right from MD 1 when Milan pulled off that 2-2 in glorious fashion I saw a different MENTALITY on the faces of Milan. It was a dogged mentality filled with determination and self-belief. It was not the Milan that rolled over in Madrid and got wiped with the floor a year before. It was different.

The stats suggest that the team that draws 0-0 at home has a 33% chance of advancing. It means 77% of the advantage lies with the Blaugrana. What an advantage! If only the opponent was not Milan. Because, Milan is the ONLY SIDE to have won all their ties (3 in total) when the first leg ended 0-0. Now, you ask yourself why is MILAN the exception to the rule? Why is Milan the club that does the unthinkable? Why is Milan the only club to have scored 4 goals in a European Cup Final on three occasions and is unmatched in this regard? Why?

- Barcelona -

1. Guardiola has never lost a QF tie.
    2. Guardiola's Barcelona has never lost a home tie in the UCL.
    3. Guardiola's Barcelona has smashed their opposition at home in UCL KO ties.
    4. Guardiola's Barcelona is undefeated in 16 straight European games. That's a long streak!
    5. The first leg stalemate was the first time in 30 UCL games that Barcelona fired blanks.

- Milan -

1. Milan had not reached the QF stage since being eliminated by Arsenal in 2008 in the QF.
    2. Milan has not lost a QF after drawing the first leg 0-0 at home. 100% record in 4 encounters. Perhaps the only side to do it. Clutch!
    3. Overall, Milan has been held at home in the first leg 8 times and won 6 of those ties. This includes all types of draws. Unthinkable!
    4. Milan has not beaten Barcelona since 2004 when Shevchenko's goal via the assist of the decade by Rui Costa resulted in a 1-0 home win. The second leg in the group stage resulted in a last gasp fantastic goal by Ronaldinho to make it a 2-1 win for Barcelona.
    4. Milan has not beaten Barcelona in the 5 games after that (2006 SF loss: 0-1 San Siro and 0-0 Camp Nou). The other three games are this season.

The overall comparison between both clubs is closer than you would imagine ...

Matches: 14
    Barcelona wins: 5
    Milan wins: 4

Barca Goals Scored: 19
    Milan Goals Scored: 18

Phew! Those numbers are close ... very close. Remember that these numbers have taken decades to form. Different teams, different eras, different form periods of both sides and yet they are SO CLOSE. It just shows how close these sides have been to each other in head to head competitions.

- Barca at the Camp Nou -

1. Against Milan the record of Barcelona at the Camp Nou reads: W2 D3 L1 - Closer than one would imagine!
    2. Barcelona is undefeated at home in the last 14 fixtures in Europe. That's a long streak!
    3. Barcelona is aiming to win their 5th straight QF and match the glorious Real side of the mid 50s who achieved this feat. 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 are the years in question. They also won their 2006 QF obviously (Champions that year). Fighting history to make history!
    4. Barcelona was last eliminated in the QF in 2002-3 by Lippi's Juve in extra-time. Nedved scored a brilliant opener. Xavi equalized and then Zalayeta won it in extra-time. It was the best game of Thuram in a Juve shirt IMO. He was a monster that night. I don't know how many KMs he covered to be honest. Relentless work rate.

- Milan in the QF -

1. Milan have won 11 of their 14 QF ties. Ominous!
    2. Milan's last QF loss was as defending champions when we switched off against Super Depor to lose 4-0 in the Riazor.

- Barca in QF -

1. Barca have won 11 of their 13 QF ties! Ominous!
    2. Barca have won 17 out of 22 UCL ties drawing the first leg away from home! However when it comes to drawing 0-0 away from home they have won 3 and lost 2 UCL ties. It gets closer.

I am a numbers guys. I love long undefeated streaks but in key games I am always worried because streaks break at the worst time. Before this tie, I didn't know what would happen in the first leg. I was not sure of the result but I was hoping that Milan don't lose the first game. A win or draw would keep the tie alive for us in the Camp Nou. I didn't want a 2006 type situation where we would lose at home and then had a mountain to climb in the Camp Nou. Our record in Spain is below average. W4 D6 L10. It's not that impressive. However, tonight we need a W or a D and if you look at that stat then it is break even at 10 v 10!

I am just finding it hard to believe how can not pounce on this situation that presents itself to us tonight. Come on. Look at the numbers. Look at the streaks. Somebody please pinch me. There is not one or two pieces of stats but an entire list that is asking us to break that streak! Barcelona are favorites but not my much. They are 55-45 favorites at the start.

Ghost Protocol has been initiated. We play as one. We fight as one. We win as one and we lose as one. We are all in one. We are Milan. The team that does the unthinkable again and again. Anybody can beat anybody in a one off game. Milan is the ONLY team that can beat Barcelona over two legs right now!

FORZA MILAN! WE 8ELIEVE!

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    stats are IRRELEVANT. Haroon, a patch of soggy grass or a lump of earth can determine this tie!
    We are going to enter the Camp Nou with a will to win tonight. And we can do it. This is not the first time or the last time that Milan faces adversity.

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

We can do it tonight. We can win in the Camp Nou. Going by the numbers, I can BLUNTLY say that I think we will win in the Camp Nou tonight. We are not the favorites. That is for sure. Football is a strange game. Anything can happen. I don't know what will happen but I can have faith in a Milan win. Keep the faith guys. This is the same me who was not like this for years. This is the same Milan that was supposed to lose a week ago. I had faith then and I have faith now. Milan is finding that inner strength to fight Barcelona. It is beyond our capabilities right now but we have that WILL and HUNGER.

4,000 guys are in Barcelona right now believing. 8ELIEVE!

Forza Milan!

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

an hour to go......

FORZA MILAN!!!!!!!
    in un mese hai perso moglie,tifosi e kakà,papi vendi la società

We have no chance if we keep on being our own worse enemy
    in un mese hai perso moglie,tifosi e kakà,papi vendi la società