Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coppa Italia: Juventus - Milan

I'm not even going back as far as 94 mate, this acceptance seems to have happened since Ancelotti left. In 2003-2007 we wouldn't have accepted defeat to Juve with such flippancy either.

Milan 1994 wast the most talented Milan side, but it played the right way and with heart, it was an ageing side with sparks of brilliance from Boban and Savicevic, but the Milan ethos in desire and playing style was still evident.

Now we just accept that we can't possibly hope to be as good as Barca or Madrid because of their immense spending power, and that stems from the top with Galliani. It's defeatist and Italian football believes it. Let's not forget that if not for differing opinions Ibra would be a Barca player, Boateng is good enough for Barca and they wanted to buy Robinho when we did and are chasing Silva, so are they really thatuch better? Yes in mentality and coaching ability, not so much in terms of talent (excluding Messi)

We have lost 5 times, were held 3 times and won 2 time with Juventus under Ancelotti. That is nothing to write home about! I understand what are you trying to say but I really think this mentality has died in 94 or 95. Of course there were sparkles of it coming back like the games against United or Bayern but there was never the consitency. We would thrash United only to get our asked kicked by some team like Lecce next weekend. Im not saying Barcelona doesn't lose to Getafe once in a while, but I guess you understand what Im trying to illustrate. We were simply able to motivate ourselves to play 2-4 great games in CL, but otherwise we could get easily humiliated by any minor shitty team in the league....and there were seasons when our CL play was horrible as well.

I mean at the beginning of Ancelotti era, we got sometimes easily overbid in transfer market by teams like Lazio or Roma and this made us being one of 5-6 teams competing for Serie A title...not 1 or 2. Its difficult to retain the "big club" ego in its entirety. Yes, we could have materialized this psychological boost in CL once in a while as we were the team with a great history in that competition, but those were only bids and pieces. I guess we have seen this kinda phenomena in this years games against Barca and the home fixture with Arsenal.

Then also Ancelotti had quite a crop of homegrown or cheap players that made a strong generation. Gattuso, Ambrosini, Seedorf, Pirlo, was a great axis only to be topped by more expensive (but still relatively good buys in terms of finances) like Nesta, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Kaká or Rui Costa. When Allegri took over....most of these players were still there but already over their best. I think there was an urgent need to rebuilt this side and it was difficult to have an instant success with such a limited transfer budget. We brought players like Boateng, Nocerino, Abate and turned them into world class. Then we still have Merkel, Emanuelson and El Sharawy who all have great potential. Allegri did well in nourishing this team....but you are right, so did Zaccheroni! We will only see if the transition from Serie A coach to a CL coach will take place. Im not overly optimist but in a way being humble and go step by step in this situation is not bad. We might have been the big mouth Milan under Ancelotti but there were so many trophy-less seasons that it looked rather ridiculous most of the time. I believe we need a bit creativity in the midfield and solid left back and would be second to none...but haven't we known that before the season? It is Allegris fault that we haven't brought the players he requested? This team is definitely stronger than the last years but to develop further we need these reinforcements!

Actually, Barca has the axis of Iniesta-Xavi-Messi which are all extraordinary and would be in the worlds top ten. I personally don't consider Guardiola a great coach... and Id really love to see him at Inter or wherever without his midfield! What kinda tactical plan has he? Pass the ball around, don't fuck up, when the other team is bored to death give a final pass and if you are clueless give it to Messi? Just Messi alone makes such a difference!!! ...and if you have 3 extraordinary players....then you are there! That is where the mentality comes from!

I really hope most of our players will be back against Barca and we will find the right motivation because if we manage to knock them out...it could be the turning point toward the old Milan mentality! We are leading the league now and are in the CL quarters...lets see how can we handle this!
    Last edited by DonCorleone; 22nd March 2012 at 01:48.
    "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" - Don Corleone

Xavi and Iniesta are great yes, but no better than Pirlo and Seedorf 2001-2004. Messi is the only real Phenom there. Ok we had Kaka, but Messi is a level up from that. It's more barca's attitude and style of play for me that sets them apart, are Piqet and Puyol better than Maldini and Nesta? of course not, is Alves better than Cafu? no! If you look at the Barca side, yes its great, but the players are no more special (messi excluded) than our Side of 2003-2007, or contemporary Man Utd or Real Madrid sides. IMO Bayern have just as much talent as this current Barca side (messi excluded)

It is more the way they play, they do not for one second think about losing, nor do they play a moment of negative football. From the kick off they look to probe, attack and score goals, and they do this by retaining the ball and working the opposition, and when they lose the ball, they defend from the front like Sacchi did.

It is 80% mentality and style of play for me.