Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: David Beckham arrives!! (on loan)

Quote Originally Posted by jani View Post
    All this BS of Beckham arriving pushing away youngsters lower down the pecking order is nonsense.

I understand why some people are upset with this transfer, but everyone who is saying that he is in the way of Gourcuff etc have no clue.
    I beg to differ. Actually, his arrival means that not Gourcuff but others in our team may be relegated to the bench. Those others include Flamini, Kaka, Ronaldinho or even Pirlo as it is virtually impossible to play all our midfielders as it is. They are all not youngsters for sure but all of them are younger than Beckham.

This transfer is not about Beckham per se. It is about bringing in a 33 year old for marketing purposes first and foremost. It is about a fetish with big names rather than football players who actually add something to the squad. You can insert any name in there.

The wrong thing in this transfer like bringing back Shevchenko is dwelling over the past rather than looking at the present or the future. Bringing in Beckham 3 seasons ago was not a very bad idea. Right now, this is just compounding the problem of a very crowded midfield getting one more addition.

It will take some time for you to understand this once it will materialize.

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

well i dont know, the midfield will be crowded now really, but this must make Clarence happy. as far as i am concerned, since Ronaldo's wife ( too bad i have forgotten her name), he hasnt had any "affairs " with colleagues spouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
    That's just the usual babble by Presidents to pump up their stars. Beckham is not the same cash cow he used to be. That is a fact. Gone are the days when he would literally generate a bucket load of cash just because of the name. He left Europe when he was already sliding. It's a wrong impression that he will bring in the revenue of the old Beckham or near to it.

Ronaldinho's image rights are with him. I don't see us earning much from there. It's only the jerseys and that too has died down after the initial jump.

A jersey with the name costs what ... 100 euros .... sell 20,000 of those jerseys and you have 2 million at the end of the day. And 20K jerseys is a big bloody number. Don't forget all the fake jerseys readily available worldwide which cost 20 euros each! How much does R80 make in a year? 7 million ..... Now do the math.

Beckham comes in .... he's on loan .... maybe we will pay half his salary. He will sell perhaps 10,000 jerseys .... let's be optimistic and make it 30,000 jerseys ...... voila! 3 Million!!! Wow! ..... that's less than half his salary.

Don't forget the grand global recession nowadays. People will think twice before shelling out for a 100 euro jersey when the existing Milan jersey will do just fine.

Image rights is tricky. If he has a contract which he would then nothing much that we can do about it other than there being an addendum to the contract which gives us a cut.

On the apparent side it seems like he will be a money machine but in six months he won't make us more than a million to 2 million in very optimistic figures. It will be a break even deal at best IMO.

When Perez signed him he was a mega star moving to a Galactico club. The revenue Real made from him was over a period with stable income and sales coming in. Beckham was a regular. No broadcaster is dumb enough just to get Milan TV rights MID-SEASON just because Beckham is coming when the reality is that he will probably not even feature. Gaylliani is stupid so he might agree to a minimal 20 starts for Beckham in those six months. But still, the broadcasters are not dumb. They buy the rights to make the money. And these things are done years in advance rather than a yearly renewal, especially for the big channels.

As for advertisements .... gatorade, D&G etc. ..... well that falls under image rights. If we can't make the money when we have players like Kaka, Ronaldinho, Pato, Maldini etc. then there is something wrong with the marketing rather than bringing in Beckham as the solution. Beckham could do the same from coming to Milan for training. We wen t out and loaned him. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an option to buy him outright.

He would still be a professional IMO. However, an easier laid back league like the MLS will make it harder to climb back up to European competitive football level for him.

Milan is making non-football decisions more than football decisions. We are a recycled Galactico side with the difference being that they bought Zizou, Figo, Beckham, Owen in their prime while we've followed their path but bought players past their prime.
    sorry, you are a way off... never underestimate the power of the merchandising and marketing.. i'm in the business and your calculation is nothing but a very bad guess...
    "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" - Don Corleone

Quote Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
    sorry, you are a way off... never underestimate the power of the merchandising and marketing.. i'm in the business and your calculation is nothing but a very bad guess...
    What makes you think that I'm not in the business of sales and marketing?

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

Quote Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
    What makes you think that I'm not in the business of sales and marketing?
    cause your sales prediction is ridiculously low... the asian market alone can cover 100,000+ Beckham/Milan shirts... The deal will be very beneficial for Adidas as well and i'm quite confident they monitor the situation pretty close... Not mentioning the fact that you underestimate Beckham's marketing powers. According to Forbes.com...Beckham is still ranked 5th in the poll of top grossing celebrities...while his contract is like a third of what Kaká or Ronaldinho got. No Messi, Ronaldo or Kaká preceeded him in this statistics just yet.

And the thing that the current economic crisis will radically affect people who are used to buy 100+ eur football jesrsey's is simply rubbish. how many shirts are being sold on Icleand? and thats the only country where middle class population has some serious troubles...

The other thing is that Milan is still a center of fashion business... so the Posh pair would do a great impact everywhere they move within the city...

Everything else is just a speculation but this deal is worth 8 digits profit...
    "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" - Don Corleone

I read an estimate that in the two loan months Beckham could generate as much as £7m profit!
    FORZA MILAN

"AC Milan will always have what it takes to win on the field of play. But even if we can't win, never say Inter."

we are after Fabregas according to the media reports coming from Italy, and, Sergio Ramos is close to leave Madrid after problems with the managment there.

Quote Originally Posted by artan View Post
    we are after Fabregas according to the media reports coming from Italy, and, Sergio Ramos is close to leave Madrid after problems with the managment there.
    Can't see us getting either as L'Arsenal are still pissed over Flamini and unreal because we made them look stupid over Kaka
    FORZA MILAN

"AC Milan will always have what it takes to win on the field of play. But even if we can't win, never say Inter."