Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: David Beckham arrives!! (on loan)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I was against this deal to begin with but I'm slowly starting to think this could be a very good deal indeed.
    You've turned you prick! Damn you ... damn you all!!! What's this .... www.beckhamlovefest.com

We need more mods in here as a load of orientals are about to raid this lot!!!

I don't think it is a good move. We've bought a player who has played a season in the MLS and rather than resting he will be joining us. It's not like he is Iron Man running on nuclear energy. His marketing appeal is not the same anymore. Kaka, Messi, Ronaldinho etc. are the new marketing labels in the football world.

Beckham is a model professional. I don't think anybody disagrees with that. However, our collection of galacticos is on the rise and football .... pure football is taking a back seat. I also think that he doesn't expect to start but when he does .... who sits out then? Will that player be happy?

List down the players that we have ..... list down the garbage that we have. Add all that up and then add Beckham. Then, see how we fit them all. There will be sacrificial lambs and if they are Flamini and Pato then that hurts us the most because they are supposed to be our future.

Beckham won't make us the money that we are dreaming about. He is not the money making machine that he was. Ask LA Galaxy whether they have got a good return on investment over their multi million dollar star signing.

Adidas has moved on to the Kakas, Messis and Gerrards because that's where the money is.

It's a beneficial move for Beckham and Milan but not for our football. The queer gets another one for his life long dream orgy. Gaylliani, Chav Ho, Beckham. Threesome.

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

You are so wrong there haroon, i think 3 weeks ago the president of LA Galaxy openly talked about beckham, saying that he was the best thing the club has ever had, but he was dissapointed that that was only for the attention and money he brought in, because on the field beckham had a very bad season he haven't been better then an average MLS player and certainly he isn't the star of the team on the field, that's Donovan his job.

So he actually is still the marketing machine we think he is, but is he still the good professional we think he is? or maybe the U.S. made him weak? That's what i fear?

i doubt that he will play more than 15 minutes in the closing stages of coppa italia games. but, this is milan, you can never know. maybe , he gets the chance to become a starter. At and around Milan, names play!
    and if he plays , our defence will suffer a lot! thats something i can guarantee you. same as at real madrid.
    when buying beckham you must buy also two-three strong defenders with.

Quote Originally Posted by fillipo View Post
    You are so wrong there haroon, i think 3 weeks ago the president of LA Galaxy openly talked about beckham, saying that he was the best thing the club has ever had, but he was dissapointed that that was only for the attention and money he brought in, because on the field beckham had a very bad season he haven't been better then an average MLS player and certainly he isn't the star of the team on the field, that's Donovan his job.
    That's just the usual babble by Presidents to pump up their stars. Beckham is not the same cash cow he used to be. That is a fact. Gone are the days when he would literally generate a bucket load of cash just because of the name. He left Europe when he was already sliding. It's a wrong impression that he will bring in the revenue of the old Beckham or near to it.

Ronaldinho's image rights are with him. I don't see us earning much from there. It's only the jerseys and that too has died down after the initial jump.

A jersey with the name costs what ... 100 euros .... sell 20,000 of those jerseys and you have 2 million at the end of the day. And 20K jerseys is a big bloody number. Don't forget all the fake jerseys readily available worldwide which cost 20 euros each! How much does R80 make in a year? 7 million ..... Now do the math.

Beckham comes in .... he's on loan .... maybe we will pay half his salary. He will sell perhaps 10,000 jerseys .... let's be optimistic and make it 30,000 jerseys ...... voila! 3 Million!!! Wow! ..... that's less than half his salary.

Don't forget the grand global recession nowadays. People will think twice before shelling out for a 100 euro jersey when the existing Milan jersey will do just fine.

Image rights is tricky. If he has a contract which he would then nothing much that we can do about it other than there being an addendum to the contract which gives us a cut.

On the apparent side it seems like he will be a money machine but in six months he won't make us more than a million to 2 million in very optimistic figures. It will be a break even deal at best IMO.

When Perez signed him he was a mega star moving to a Galactico club. The revenue Real made from him was over a period with stable income and sales coming in. Beckham was a regular. No broadcaster is dumb enough just to get Milan TV rights MID-SEASON just because Beckham is coming when the reality is that he will probably not even feature. Gaylliani is stupid so he might agree to a minimal 20 starts for Beckham in those six months. But still, the broadcasters are not dumb. They buy the rights to make the money. And these things are done years in advance rather than a yearly renewal, especially for the big channels.

As for advertisements .... gatorade, D&G etc. ..... well that falls under image rights. If we can't make the money when we have players like Kaka, Ronaldinho, Pato, Maldini etc. then there is something wrong with the marketing rather than bringing in Beckham as the solution. Beckham could do the same from coming to Milan for training. We wen t out and loaned him. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an option to buy him outright.

So he actually is still the marketing machine we think he is, but is he still the good professional we think he is? or maybe the U.S. made him weak? That's what i fear?
    He would still be a professional IMO. However, an easier laid back league like the MLS will make it harder to climb back up to European competitive football level for him.

Milan is making non-football decisions more than football decisions. We are a recycled Galactico side with the difference being that they bought Zizou, Figo, Beckham, Owen in their prime while we've followed their path but bought players past their prime.

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

well i do think that for us his marketing influence aren't that big. Since we'll loan him outside the competition i also think we don't pay that much for him in salary.

But you're wrong about the U.S. they have numbers of how many % the stadiums visits where increasing after beckham signed, how many shirts they sold and how much influence it even has on other teams visitors and popularity of the sport. But that's amerika they hype up everything and people will follow like sheeps not even knowing beckham, all they need to hear is... he's the best player of europe...

In europe he certainly won't have that effect, not a single italian who doesn't visit milan, will visit milan after beckham comes. And like you say the shirt sales prices are ridiculous and the recession will have his influence also on football

ok! i think becks can do really good in the uefa and against minor teams!
    Last edited by Kaka4Life; 23rd October 2008 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by fillipo View Post
    people will follow like sheeps not even knowing beckham, all they need to hear is... he's the best player of europe...
    it's bcz in the us. they think europe is a country and we speak european... they have no idea about thinks, everything they hear from news and reading pappers... thats their information... exept artan! he know! heheeh

today la coach Arena told that he didn't knew about this and the management didn't inform him yet. He says that this is a ridicoulus idea and that that he will try to stop it for sure!