Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: UCL RD-16: 2nd Leg - Milan Vs. Arsenal

This game will be goals galore unlike most predictions on footie sites talking about a 1-0 or similar scoreline. It will be fast and intense! A goal fest is due. I just hope that we score at least one more goal than them at the end of the day.

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

IMO, the key point will be absent of Colo Ture.
    CAMPIONE DEL MONDO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haroon View Post

They've got the WRONG Arsenal logo on Goal.com under the Live commentary section!!!
    No gunners on the logo. Is that a sign that Arsenal will only come to San Siro with a chickenbone?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurre View Post
    No gunners on the logo. Is that a sign that Arsenal will only come to San Siro with a chickenbone?

You could be right! So what's your prediction since you are on a hot streak today!

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa

My prediction is worth sh!t in the end, but I believe Milan will prevail. I usually am pretty pessimistic in these matters, but with San Siro, experience, a decent result from Emirates and the fact that Milan always prevail when playing second leg at home, I think Milan will go through. I am confident.

However, because Milan usually surprise us (go through under pressure, crash down when unexpected) I am still nervous. 50% Milan victory 35% draw and 15% Arsenal victory IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Filipez View Post
    Milan: 16 Kalac, 44 Oddo, 13 Nesta, 4 Kaladze, 3 Maldini, 8 Gattuso, 21 Pirlo, 23 Ambrosini, 22 Kaką, 9 Inzaghi, 7 Pato.
    All.: Ancelotti.

Arsenal: 24 Almunia, 3 Sagna, 6 Senderos, 10 Gallas, 22 Clichy, 27 Ebouč, 16 Flamini, 4 Fabregas, 2 Diaby, 13 Hleb, 25 Adebayor.
    All.: Wenger.
    INTERESTING!

I have no idea what formation we will conceivably go with tonight.

Unless Pato is playing Seedorf's role in the tree.

If you saw Pato's games with Milan you could see that he always comes to get the ball and he comes to get it deep. Pippo will play as the frontman and Pato will run everywhere, a bit between a midfielder and a striker.

he's a guy for making an action, a good one two or a dribble, he's not the striker who stays upfront and waits for the ball to come.
    Forza Milan

ALLEGRI OUT

Quote Originally Posted by Filipez View Post
    If you saw Pato's games with Milan you could see that he always comes to get the ball and he comes to get it deep. Pippo will play as the frontman and Pato will run everywhere, a bit between a midfielder and a striker.

he's a guy for making an action, a good one two or a dribble, he's not the striker who stays upfront and waits for the ball to come.
    That observation of Pato is spot on. I agree with it in its entirety. The difference between how Pato and Seedorf play is that Seedorf has a much better long range missile and Seedorf is excellent on holding up the ball. He feels at home holding the ball!!! That aspect can really help a team especially in the UCL.

The difference is there between both. With Seedorf our midfield looks like:

------- Gattuso --------- Pirlo ---------- Ambrosini

--------------- Kaka ---------- Seedorf ----------

------------------------- Pippo ------------------

Without Seedorf it will change shape to:

------------------------ Pirlo ---------------------

--------- Gattuso ------------------- Ambrosini ---

------------------------ Kaka --------------------

------------------------------ Pato --------------
    --------------------- Pippo -----------------------

What I am saying is that Seedorf falls back a whole lot more and wins the team a lot of balls compared to Pato who does fall back but not way back to our third like Seedorf would.

Pato can be instructed to do that but it won't be as effective. We have to accept that our midfield will have a different shape to the X-Mas Tree tonight and that is slightly worrying for me seeing that the opposition is going to field a 5 man midfield which is an achilles' heel for Ancelotti's Milan from day 1!!

If this was a more tactical side of Benitez or Mourinho or Capello fielding a 5 man midfield then we would have a big task. We can rest just a little bit in the knowledge that Arsenal is:

1. Not excellent away from home.

2. The tactical nouse is not at the highest level.

but ...

their quick passing and crowded midfield can shred through us quite easily if we are not at our highest concentration levels in the DIAMOND shaped midfield!!!

A lot is depending on Gattuso (he shouldn't disappear tonight seeing that Ambro is there but you never know with him), Ambrosini and Pirlo (he will be naturally forced to defend in that diamond midfield which means we can't utilize him as we would in an X-Mas tree) to be the last line of defence before our defenders are exposed.

The situation has made it a key game for Pirlo. If he has a wonderful game then it will work but if he doesn't then we will be in dire trouble.

Remember that we are not very creative as is and Gattuso + Ambrosini in a diamond or even flat 4 midfield has always resulted in minimal creativity from our team.

Therefore, Pirlo not only has to concentrate or shall I say defend because the situation (4 man mid) has called for it but he also needs to send in some killer balls for Kaka who will be hogged by an Arsenal pair all night long leaving it to Pato and Pippo to create goals from relatively safe situations which is easier said than done ... but doable!

I just hope that we start well enough combined with Arsenal having their traditional hissy fit on away games to glide past this game. Seedorf will return later on and he will be "awake" in the QF for a black-out!

It's just strange .... About 3 days ago I was feeling good about this game but Seedorf's injury has me worried because the entire dynamics have changed!!

You never know .... Wenger might be dumb enough to play a 4-4-2 and invite trouble by giving us a free pass! But it's not Christmas and there won't be any miracles unless the Miracle Man does it again for us.

A tense 3-3 game with a last minute scorcher from 30 yards to finish off the game 4-3 would be such a fantastic steroid that it may well take us to Moscow all the way to the 8th.

I'm not sure I can withstand such a game but I would relish the chance to experience it.

P.S. Don't drink too much water 60 mins before kick-off. Friendly advice.
    Last edited by Haroon; 4th March 2008 at 15:16.

M I L A N

Riferimento d'Europa