Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: CL: AC Milan Vs Lyon (2nd Leg)

Champions League Cup CL: AC Milan Vs Lyon (2nd Leg)

vs

04-04-2006
    stadio: san siro
    kick off: 20:45

here are some preliminary talk from different sources.

Milan out to master Lyon

• When Olympique Lyonnais played away from home in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final 12 months ago, a 1-1 draw proved insufficient and they eventually bowed out on penalties to PSV Eindhoven. A similar result this time round however, would be enough to overcome the might of AC Milan and claim a semi-final berth for the first time.

Top-class Coupet
    • Last week's 0-0 draw at the Stade Gerland - the inaugural meeting of the teams in UEFA club competition, and the first time Lyon had been involved in a goalless draw in the European Champion Clubs' Cup - finished with the French team grateful to have survived.

• Milan created a number of chances to score but Grégory Coupet proved a difficult barrier to pass. Andriy Shevchenko had particular cause to curse the goalkeeper's excellence but Lyon recovered and went on to enjoy the better of a pulsating second period.

Milan favoured
    • The statistics support the theory that Milan, six-times champions of the European Champion Clubs' Cup, are the most likely of these two sides to reach the last four.

• They have never lost at the San Siro to French opponents, winning six and drawing two of the eight games.

• In this season's competition they have scored ten goals in their four home games and since losing two home fixtures in the 2003/04 group stage, they have won eleven of their 12 fixtures on their own turf with PSV, in this season's group, the only visitors to escape unbeaten. They earned a 0-0 draw.

• One notable Milan reverse at the hands of French opposition was the 1-0 defeat by Olympique de Marseille in the 1992/93 UEFA Champions League final played in Munich.

Wave of goals
    • Carlo Ancelotti's men, aiming for a semi-final berth for the third time in four seasons, sailed into this season's quarter-finals on a wave of goals, winning their home leg against FC Bayern München 4-1 after the game in Germany was tied at 1-1. The two goals scored home and away by Shevchenko raised his total in this year's competition to eight – two more than his nearest rivals - while Filippo Inzaghi scored twice in the home leg.

Inter beaten
    • In the 2004/05 quarter-finals, Milan faced their city rivals FC Internazionale Milano and went through after a 2-0 'home' victory with the second leg abandoned because of crowd trouble. A 3-0 win was subsequently awarded to Milan, making it a 5-0 success on aggregate.

• They then progressed to the final in Istanbul, took a 3-0 lead over Liverpool FC only to suffer heartbreak as the English side staged an incredible comeback and eventually prevailed on penalties.

Juninho back
    • Lyon will welcome back Juninho Pernambucano after he missed the first game through suspension but will be without the services of Portuguese midfielder Tiago after he picked up his third caution in the competition late in last week's game.

• They have a good record when travelling to face Italian opposition, winning three of their four fixtures, including 2-1 successes from two trips to the San Siro to face Inter. Firstly in the 1997/98 UEFA Cup second round, secondly in the 2002/03 UEFA Champions League first group stage when Sidney Govou and Sonny Anderson gave them a 2-0 lead before Fabio Cannavaro pulled one back.

Bad memories
    • Gérard Houllier's side are desperate to erase their quarter-final memories in the last two seasons. Last year's 4-2 defeat on penalties to PSV (both legs had ended 1-1) was preceded by an aggregate defeat by eventual winners FC Porto. They lost 2-0 away and drew 2-2 in the return.

• Following that Porto defeat they have lost just one of their subsequent 20 UEFA Champions League games and, equally encouraging, have remained unbeaten in their last six away games in the competition.

Tiago on target
    • Gérard Houllier's side exacted revenge on PSV in this season's first knockout round, winning 4-0 at home following a single-goal victory in the away leg. Tiago scored twice in the first half at Stade Gerland to build on their narrow success in the Netherlands.

Home success?
    • Should Lyon go through they will be one step nearer to becoming the third side to win the UEFA Champions League in their own country with this year's final being staged in Paris on 17 May. Juventus were the first to manage it in the 1995/96 campaign (Rome) and BV Borussia Dortmund matched the feat the following season (Munich).

Semi-final opponents
    • The projected semi-final opponents for the winners are SL Benfica or FC Barcelona - both teams Milan have beaten in European Cup finals. The first leg of that tie finished 0-0.

houllier about the game:

Mr Houllier, what chance do you give your team before this match?
    One chance in two. The 0-0 was the best possible draw for us and don’t forget than in the past, OL was always eliminated in the first leg. Today, that’s not the case. We know that we can score goals away from home, even considering the quality of the opposition.

9,500 supporters and a real sense of hope. Does that add more pressure on your team?
    It doesn’t change anything. We want to bring happiness to those people, that’s our job. We deserve to go to the semi-finals just as much as Milan. Up until we haven’t committed a single mistake. The team to me, to be stringer this season, and I repeat, we have one chance in two of going through and we’ll do everything to see that happen.

The political side of this match seems very important in Italy with the elections coming up…<br> I’m only interested in the result on the pitch. I’m not thinking about the rest, I can only control our preparation for this match.

Will Milan be different to the first match?
    I hope not because that Milan was only good for the first 20 minutes before we came back into the match. For many people this is a battle between David and Goliath so don’t forget who one that one…

What will change for OL?
    Tiago is suspended and Juninho will be back. Obviously the latter’s return is huge boost for us. But a great team is capable of getting by without one or two players. In the first match we survived without Juni, but he could yet be the difference on Tuesday. All great teams need to have decisive players. At the Stade Gerland, OL never allowed Milan’s decisive players into the game.

Everyone waiting for Juninho, is that not a bit dangerous for him?
    Juninho is very good when the pressure is on him, but you also have to protect these players. I think the whole team needs to respond to this challenge, not just one player. He’s over 30 years old, great players are always up for the big matches and he knows that.

You are undefeated away from home in 13 months. What does that mean to you?
    It means confidence and responsibility. This season, every time we’ve played away from home we’ve been solid and we’ve always managed to come from behind and even win on certain occasions.

Is physical freshness indispensable?
    Carlo Ancelotti and I both felt the need to rest certain players before this match which will be very intense in terms of energy and physical presence. The first match was, I repeat, of a very, very high standard.

You showed too much respect to your opposition in the first 20 minutes of the opening match. Will you avoid that in the mythic San Siro?
    We were star gazing for 20 minutes, but the team responded after that. I was very proud of their reaction and I reiterated that no spectator has ever scored a goal. The players will be so focused on the match that they won’t even notice what’s going on around them. Although we know the atmosphere will galvanise the Italians.

Gérard Houllier ended by stating: “We want to enter into history. It would be a fantastic result for everybody: the players, the club, the supporters and French football.”

i just wanna say:FOOOOOORRZAAAAAA MILAN!!!!
    Last edited by fillipo; 3rd April 2006 at 14:40.

Dida

Cafu Nesta Maldini Serginho

Pirlo Vogel

Kaka Seedorf

Sheva Pippo

Jesus Fillipo i didnt know you knew that many words i must say excellent opening though

if we play a good game we will not let juninho play his game, everyone was ranting about Bollock before the bayern game, and what did he do, nothing, in my opinion, if we go out and play our game we will prevail, i dont see it being as easy as bayern though. An early goal would be great, first 15 mins, and make lyon come at us.

-----------dida
    --cafu--nesta--maldini--kaladze
    ---vogel---pirlo---seedorf
    ----------kaka
    -----sheva---pippo

Stam
    Stam
    Stam
    Stam

If he is fit enough, that is.

[QUOTE=drew]Jesus Fillipo i didnt know you knew that many words i must say excellent opening though

thanks mate, but i must admit the most of the credits must go to the copy/paste section of my computer.

i except a very aggresive and intensive game, hope we keep our heads cool and don't let them score! ow and drew you're right about juninho we can handle him, but in lyon i saw a very weak malouda, a weak carew etc. that doesn't mean we must underrestimate does guys! we must be 120% bolth mental as physical because i think it will be a battlefield out there!

Stam , if he plays RB then we wont have muhc attacking options. we have to score and cafu can help us more there than stam. if we were to defend result , then stam would have been the better option.

Milans weakness is.................milan

Quote Originally Posted by artan
    Stam , if he plays RB then we wont have muhc attacking options. we have to score and cafu can help us more there than stam. if we were to defend result , then stam would have been the better option.

Normally I would agree, but not this time. Cafu is simply off form, so Stam seems like a better option.

It will be yet another nerve recking game. Hope we can close the deal early in the game!

Forza Milan!
    in un mese hai perso moglie,tifosi e kakà,papi vendi la società